How can a vending machine become even better? Let us count the ways. There are many significant factors to consider when seeking enhanced performance, including energy savings and reduced global warming potential. Coca-Cola venders score high marks by every measure and can even help your business achieve its own energy and climate protection objectives.
As an industry leader in innovation, The Coca-Cola Company is focused on reducing global warming potential, improved energy efficiency and performance when it comes to equipment. As a result, your business — and the planet — benefit in the following ways:
- Energy Star Certification. All new vending machines are Energy Star certified, meeting strict energy efficiency guidelines set by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and the U.S. Department of Energy. In addition, most venders purchased since 20041 and most remanufactured since 20102 have attained Energy Star certification.
- Sophisticated Energy Saving Features. All venders have built-in timers. Equipment can be manually programmed to turn off and turn on lights and change storage temperature during programmed time blocks, resulting in up to 20% energy savings for the vender.3
- Advanced Energy Saving Technology. Energy management devices can be added to most venders4. This patented technology learns the location’s consumer traffic patterns and operating hours and automatically adjusts cabinet storage temperature and lighting. You experience up to 20% energy savings3 for the vender and consistently deliver cold, quality products.
- HFC-Free Insulation. The Coca-Cola system has transitioned to HFC-free (Hydrofluorocarbon-free) insulation foam for new equipment, eliminating 75% of direct greenhouse gas emissions compared to traditional refrigeration equipment.
- A Commitment to Natural Refrigeration. The Coca-Cola Company is committed to achieving a goal that all new venders and coolers will use natural refrigerants and be HFC-free by 2015. HFC is a greenhouse gas that impacts climate change. The Company has selected CO2 as the preferred natural substitute for HFC refrigerant because the global-warming potential for HFCs is significantly higher than that of CO2. The combined action of using HFC-free insulation and the natural refrigerant CO2 reduces the direct potential greenhouse gas emissions from vending machines by 99%.
- Lighting Matters. The Coca-Cola Company is committed to using energy efficient fluorescent or LED lighting in new venders.
- Online/Intelligent Vending Systems. Beginning in 2011, Coca-Cola Refreshments began deploying intelligent vending machines, which improve the efficiency of delivery and servicing.
- Continual Progress. Coca-Cola venders purchased today with all the technological improvements noted above are at least 50% more efficient than equipment purchased in 2000.5
- Planting More Seeds for the Future. Coca-Cola venders can dispense products with PlantBottle® packaging, the first-ever fully recyclable PET plastic beverage bottle made partially from plants. The material looks and functions just like traditional PET plastic, but has a lighter footprint on the planet and its scarce resources. The PlantBottle ;is used in 20-oz. ;DASANI® packaging.
1. The Energy Star Vending Program launched in April 2004. Royal stack venders, Royal RVV500 Dixie Narco DN3800, Dixie Narco DN5800, Vendo VUE and the 21 Vendo are Energy Star certified.
2. Remanufactured Royal 660s and 804s are Energy Star Certified. Royal 550s are currently pending certification.
3. Market test results — Per outlet savings will vary based on factors such as location hours, temperature, traffic and throughput.
4. Exceptions are the DN 3800, DN 5800, Royal RVV500 and Vendo VUE.
5. The Coca-Cola Company Lab Testing — November, 2011.